Tuesday, May 28, 2013

BLOG POST 1

manflippingborder="0"


Who is Krissy Venosdale?

Krissy Venosdale is a gifted and talented educator that allows her students to have fun while learning in her classroom. Mrs. Venosdale tries to make lasting impressions on her students by giving them the freedom to be creative and make mistakes. Another way that she tries to make good impressions on her students is by making the classroom fun and colorful. Her methods of teaching have inspired me to go above and beyond standard classroom decorations. When I become a teacher I want my classroom to resemble hers. I want fun and funky color everywhere, but also I want every inch of my room to be educational. I believe that children will have more fun and be willing to come learn in a colorful classroom.

Who is Sugata Mitra?

Sugata Mitra is a Professor of Educational Technology at the School of Education, Communication and Language Sciences at Newcastle University, England. Many people know him for his “HOLE IN THE WALL” experiment. Mr. Mitra placed a computer in a wall that allowed poor children to explore the internet. The experiment allowed children to learn how to use a computer without anyone telling them how it works. In his YouTube video " Sugata Mitra TED 2013 Talk" he tells us that schools are outdated. He believe that children can teach themselves if given the chance. He also believes that with broadband, collaboration, and encouragement children can learn anything.

MY DREAM SCHOOL

My dream school would be a lot like Mrs. Venosdale. The walls would be painted bright pretty colors and the floors would have tiles with pictures and motivational saying all over them. All of the classrooms would have group tables and arts and craft supplies on each table. As the children learned something new I would allow them to express what they have learned with a craft project. On pretty days teachers would be allowed to have class outside for a change in scenery. All tests would be done away with. I believe that children learn better when they don’t have to memorize facts to pass a test. Instead of tests, I would allow students to tell the class what they have learned from the lesson. Sharing ideas with others will help children learn more. My school would be for first and second graders. At these grade levels children are just beginning to understand concepts. It’s a wonderful feeling to be around a child when they first understand something, its feels as if a light has been turned on.

What do I want my students to learn and what tools will they use?

I would like for my students to be able to teach themselves new things and ask effective questions when they don’t understand something. I would allow the students to use tools such as computers, smartphones, iPod’s and use collaboration with others to learn.

What do I want my kids to be able to do?

I want my students to be able to learn new concepts on their own, and share with the class what they have learned. I also want my students to be able to cooperate with each other in groups. Group work will teach them how to effectively get along with others and share new ideas.

What will be my primary way of teaching my students what I want them to know and to do?

I will model examples of different ways to learn. I will also use different learning devices in my classroom such as computers, ipads, tablets, and etc.

What role will my students play in the classroom?

My students will be teachers and learners. After the students learn something new they will have the opportunity to share their findings with the class. Sharing what they have learned with others will give other kids new ways of viewing the same question.

5 comments:

  1. Kabrina,

    You need to have alt and title modifiers for every image you use in order to give the artist credit. Also, proof read your blog assignments before posting as I found many errors. Ask some of your group members to read over it for you as well. You are missing a clickable link for Krissy Venosdale's blog so be sure to go back and add that. I like your ideas for your future classroom. It does sound very inviting and fun. You definitely want to encourage independent learning which is what our future generations need. Contact me if you need further assistance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kabrina,
    I like your idea for having a fun and colorful classroom that resembles Krissy Venosdale's classroom. I do worry about not having any tests. In what other way will you evaluate the students if you will not have any tests or examinations? I find it interesting and unique that your school will only be first and second grade. Most elementary schools are kindergarten through fourth or fifth grade. Smartphones in the classroom may be a good idea at times but how will you control the use of phones with your first and second graders? I do like that you want to allow them to help each other learn and also to teach themselves some concepts using technology. Overall, I like your ideas for your future classroom and find them unique but quite possibly beneficial.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your idea of a colorful school and class outside. What kid does not like to go outside? I never thought of class outside. I guess I didn't think out of the box much. I think it is great to change the scenery. I hate being locked up inside when it is so pretty out. I also like your idea of crafts. I love crafts and I think it is a fun way for your kids to show what they have acquired. I also like the idea of having them teach each other what they learned.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love bright colors and the outdoors. I also agree with having children teach each other because in order for children to teach each other, they have to learn the concept first themselves. I agree with changing the scenery because it would help keep kids from getting bored. But I disagree with not having test. I believe test prepare children for the real world whenever they get out of school. If the children never get put under pressure in school, then they will not be prepared for job interviews and everything else in life that causes you to be under a little bit of stress. I really enjoyed reading your post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You got taken to task by others for not wanting tests. I disagree with your critics if they want tests to see what students remember as opposed to what they can do. Tests of skill are useful. They are not as easy for the teacher to administer and evaluate, however.

    ReplyDelete