Friday, May 31, 2013

BLOG POST 2



1 Mr. Dancealot part 1 kabrina


Mr. Dancealot reminds me of most of my past teachers. Most of them put notes on the board and told me to do the assignment at home. I believe that people have to practice and make mistakes in order to learn how to dance. I think that Mr. Dancealot should have allowed the students the chance to dance in class to make sure that they understood how to do it. I don’t know any dance classes that do not let their students practice what they have learned before the test. The class should have been up repeating each step after him. I also agree with the boy from the video when he said that he could learn the dance on his own. If the students were allowed to actually dance in the class or teach themselves, they would have been able to do better on the test.

2. Teaching in the 21st Century by Kaitlyn Parker


Roberts believes teaching in the 21st century is about engagement instead of entertainment. Teachers are no longer the only source of information for students, but teachers are the filter for the information. Students now have access to iPad's, computers, and smartphones where they can access Google, You-tube, or Facebook wherever and whenever they want or need. Technology gives them access to anything they need. Students can easily "Google" any question they have and within seconds get millions of responses. I feel that teachers are still needed in the classroom but they can utilize technology to excel their teaching and engagement with the students. Technology is growing and improving each and every day. As an educator technology will be used in my classroom to help me engage with my students. This will help teach them concepts I may not have been able to teach them using just a textbook and chalkboard.

Haley’s #3

The Networked Student by Wendy Drexler


The networked student video allows students to discover more of (what) technology has to offer. I enjoyed watching this video. I believe students become more engaged with this type of learning. They also connect with other people and their ideas.

Why does the networked student even need a teacher? The student needs a teacher as a coach whenever they feel like their research has hit a brick wall, to help them organize what they discover and keep them in the right direction. The teacher makes sure the student understands how to communicate properly with people all over the world by being kind and eager to learn. The teacher is also needed to make sure they are searching on sites that use correct information to back up their opinions.

I definitely believe a networked student needs a teacher. I think a better name for the teacher would be mentor. Mentors are there to answer any questions the student has

while helping them become more independent in the field they are studying. I look forward to mentoring children and watching their imaginations grow.

#4 paula lu

In the video “Harness Your Students’ Digital Smarts,” by Vicki Davis, Davis shows us how technology can be good for students. If you give them something they do not know how to use, then they will figure it out. She allows the students to teach each other and work together. Students can get bored of listening to a teacher lecture. Therefore, Davis lets her students demonstrate what they have learned. She gets them involved with technology. Technology is expanding and will eventually start invading the classroom, why not put it to good use?

I like the way that she teaches her students. She is teaching them without having to actually teach. They are learning to teach themselves and also teaching her along the way. If they have questions or do not know something, she is there to help and they have the tools to look it up.

The Edutopia website has many tips and ways to make teaching and learning fun for the students. Showing them ways that can keep them interested and wanting to learn.



5 Flipping the Classroom - 4th Grade STEM part 5 kabrina

Flipping the classroom is a great concept that allows all students to learn at their own pace. I really believe that this way of learning could be helpful to all children and should be used in all schools. The best part of this program is that children get a chance to review the material before coming to class. Skipping the lecture allows students more time to ask questions to clear up problems that they may be having. Children can benefit from this program by being able to see the material more than once. I believe that the more time that they get to spend on a subject the better they will become at it. This method gives students the opportunity to ask questions in class. Students can pause, rewind, and watch the video as many times as needed to effectively understand the information. This method seems to be very effective and I may even flip my classroom in the future!


5 comments:

  1. I agree with you completely that Mr. Dancealot should have allowed his students to physically practice the dance moves especially if he expected to test the students on them later in the course.

    I think the flipping the classroom method could be beneficial for students but I also think there will be at least that one student in each class that will not read and review the material on their own outside of the classroom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Most of us would agree with you on Professor Dancealot and how he was not that great of a teacher. He could have taught the class in a much better and effect way.

    On flipping the classroom, I actually do not agree with this idea. Think about it. All through middle school, high school, college. How many times have you actually do the reading or practice problems beforehand? I know I never did. And I don’t really think kids will either. If it takes an enormous amount out of their day, they are not going to want to do the homework. Kids go to school from 8 to 3. They get home at about 4 and then from 4 till 9 is the only free time they have. If they eat and start at 5 and the homework takes 2 hours, by that time they are probably sitting down for dinner and then where has the rest of their day gone? I’m just saying. I’m not a big fan of homework. I just don’t feel like this is a good way to keep kids interested. Just because it is on a computer and it is educational does not mean it will keep their interest.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with all of your comments on Mr. Dancealot and the way he taught his dance class.

    I do not agree with your argument on "flipping the classroom". "Skipping the lecture allows students more time to ask questions to clear up problems that they may be having." I don't think skipping the lecture is a good idea. I think children have plenty of time to ask questions during or after the lecture. Skimming through the material before class would be okay for older children, but younger children are going to get bored really quick. The children will already have homework from the previous material learned that day. So by adding learning new material to that list will overwhelm children.

    I took a Chemistry class here and had a lot of problems with it because he skipped the lecture. I would try to review the material by myself before class and then he would put random problems on the board in class. The whole class did not know what question to ask because the chapter that the problem came from was unknown. So therefore, I disagree with "flipping the classroom" making learning more interesting for children.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kabrina,

    Remember to add clickable links and alt and title modifiers. You mentioned in your section about Flipping the Classroom that lecturing should be completely skipped. While we should certainly reduce the amount of time that lecturing takes up in a given class period, it should not be done away with completely. It might serve as an introduction to a hands-on assignment in class or a guest speaker might give a lecture.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "I believe that people have to practice and make mistakes in order to learn how to dance." To learn anything!

    ReplyDelete