Thursday, June 13, 2013

Blog post 5

picture of podcasting


1st graders create their own read along


Students are pulled out of their first grade class during reading to record their own podcast. The podcast was based on a book from the Magic Tree House series, called Vacation Under the Volcano. The podcast is an audio recording of students reading a book chapter by chapter. Each chapter has a special sound to indicate that it is a new chapter. Once students are done recording they have the chance to hear the podcast and follow along with it while reading a script. Once the podcast is complete it is added to the class blog. There are several things that can be learned from this experiment. One of the most interesting things that I have learned from reading this blog is I can use special sounds to indicate that a new chapter or subject is about to begin. Creating a podcast seem like it can be a lot of fun. I would like to see an interview of the students expressing their feeling about doing the podcast. I would like to know if the students actually uploaded the podcast to their class blog or if the teacher did it. Times sure have changed. When I was in 1st grade I don’t recall knowing anything about a computer or how to use it.

Langwitches Listing- Comprehension- Podcasting


Langwitch believes that students cannot master a word of a language until they hear it at least 70+ times. She also states that students must hear and understand the words that lead up to it and the words that follow it. By hearing those words the student can make meaning of the sentence. In order to master new words students must have an opportunity to practice using the word. Practice allows the student to become comfortable with pronouncing the word. Langwitch also believes that recording a podcast and editing it can help students learn new language sounds. Pod-casting allows the students to see their voices and manipulate the sequence of sentences. I can relate to langwitches’s techique of repeating words to master them. In order to become better at anything you have to practice the skill. A few years ago I wanted to learn how to fish. The first few times that I went I didn’t catch anything. I kept going and tried new things until I was able to catch a fish. It took time and repetition for me to master that skill. I have never tried to learn a new language using podcast. One day I would love to give it a try. I believe that if second graders can master pod-casting, then I don’t see any reason why I can’t learn it. I am setting a personal goal for myself to learn how to effectively use podcast this semester. I don’t know much about it, but I look forward to working with the podcast project that I have coming up in EDM310.

Langwithches- Flat Stanley Podcast


A class of first graders created their own Flat Stanley podcast. Instead of mailing Flat Stanley around to different countries and relatives these students created their own Flat Stanley adventures. The students had to come up with a location for flat Stanley, a way for him to get there, an activity for him to do and a way for him to get back home. All of the students and their parents had to come up with their own adventures for the podcast. Students were allowed to research the location of their choice for Flat Stanley to visit. After completing their assignment the student pieced their stories together using the podcast. I was very interested in some of the location that the students chose for Flat Stanley to visit. The locations ranged from Alabama to the North Pole. I would love to know why the students picked their location. Did they pick the location because they had family and friends there?
Was it because they always wanted to visit or because they have been there before?


4 comments:

  1. I think you had a good summary about podcasts but I did see some grammar errors in the first paragraph. "Creating a podcast seem like it can be a lot of fun." I believe seem needs to be changed to seems. I like that in the second paragraph you related pod casting and learning new things to yourself and wrote about learning to fish. I also like that you are excited to learn new things and learn to podcast.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Once students are done recording..." have finished, not are done

    Do you still fish?

    "...in some of the location that the students chose..." locations, not location

    Good questions.

    Are you ready to do a great podcast?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like that you are excited to learn more about technology.

    I enjoy to fish. You do have to learn the right techniques to use when fishing. I agree that technology can be looked at in the same manner. Sometimes you have to be the fisherman by throwing out your bait, only to be patient. While other times, you are the fish searching for the right information(bait) to trust.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kabrina,

    This is the first time I've been assigned your blog, so I may be wrong, but is your name "kaqbrina" or "Kabrina"? On our staff documents you are listed as Kabrina, but on your blog About Me you are listed as kaqbrina. Just curious.

    Anyway, I too noticed a few grammar issues, but since they've already pointed them out, I won't bother with them. However, you do need to fix the ALT of your image. You cannot have it as just unknown. You need to have an actual source URL or if it's your image that you made/took with a camera then you can say it is yours in the ALT.

    ReplyDelete