Tuesday, June 4, 2013

BLOG POST 3

picture of peer hand in teamwork
How Can You Provide Meaningful Feedback to Your Peers?

I would provide positive feedback to my peers by pointing out all of the good things that I see in their work before attacking the mistakes. I believe that my peers would be less offended if I say something good about their work. I hate for someone to leave all negative feedback on my blog. When I find a mistake I plan to address the problem with a solution. I think telling a person how to fix an error is more effective than just telling them it’s wrong. People need to know how to fix the problem to become better writers.

WHAT IS PEER EDITING?
Peer editing occurs when you make changes or suggestions to another person's writing. The goal is to help the other person improve their writing skills. There are three steps you must keep in mind when you are editing someone's work.
1. Compliment the person's writing before you tell them what needs to be fixed. Let the person know what you liked about their writing. I believe people will be more willing to except your opinion if you do it in a nice way.
2. Suggestions should be given to the writer about ways to improve their writing. Don’t just tell the person that something is wrong with their writing. Offer the person suggestions on ways to fix the error. For instance you could suggest replacing words or sentence.
3. Corrections are the last step to peer editing. When correcting someone’s work make sure that you check for spelling, punctuation and grammar.

PEER EDITING WITH PERFECTION TUTORIAL
The tutorial is a Power Point about peer editing. The Power Point lists the same three steps to peer editing as above (compliments, suggestions and corrections). I agree with the slideshow, Peer editing is a great way to get to know your classmates as well as sharpening your editing and comprehension skills. These skills can be used to better edit your own writing in the future. It also helps us learn how to properly use constructive criticism. Tearing someone down is not going to help the person's writing. I believe positive reinforcement and praise when deserved is ALWAYS going to be the most effective way to peer edit.

Writing Peer Review (Peer Critique) TOP 10 Mistakes
I thought Writing Peer Review Top 10 Mistakes was an educational and funny video. I know whenever I did peer editing throughout the elementary and middle school years, I definitely ran into people like the ones in the video! The Picky Patty, Mean Margaret, and Jean the Generalizer characters stood out to me the most. I often became angry with their approaches. Nobody likes to hear that things are wrong with work they think is perfect, so you should never be mean or overly picky about the comments you make! The number one rule of peer editing is stay positive! Before you edit someone's work, as put yourself if their shoes.
















p

4 comments:

  1. "Nobody likes to hear that things are wrong with work they think is perfect..." Maybe thinking you are perfect is the problem! My two daughters thinks one of them, and only one, is perfect. Guess who that is! They agree that their Dad is not perfect.



    ReplyDelete
  2. "Nobody likes to hear that things are wrong with work they think is perfect..." I also agree with Dr. Strange. You should not think that your work is perfect because everyone makes mistakes. Sometimes I think that my work is perfect, but I know there are mistakes. There might not be many mistakes, but there are mistakes. Even English teachers make mistakes. Forgot a comma, typos, forgot to capitalize, we all do it. Part of learning is to not think you are perfect because if you do, there is not any room for improving.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Dr. Strange and Paula. I know my work is not perfect, that is why I read and reread what I have written before submitting for review.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like your ideas but I do agree with Dr. Strange also. I also think "Before you edit someone's work, as put yourself if their shoes." could be worded differently. I think you meant put yourself in their shoes.

    ReplyDelete