Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Blog post 13

kid being bullyed
"To This Day" for the bullied and beautiful
What can we learn form Ted Talk?
“ 'To this day for' for the bullied and beautiful" is a powerful speech followed by an amazing poem. Shane Koyezah reflects back on his childhood. Throughout his childhood, people tried to crush his dreams and make him feel like he was a nobody. People would ask him what he wanted to be when he grew up, and when he would reply that he wanted to be a writer, they would tell him it was a bad idea. Many people would tell him to just accept the identity that other people had already given him. They told him that he could not be a writer but he overlooked them and went on to live his dreams. This video shows that he is an amazing spoken word artist. His life was a classic case of bullying. Many children today are facing some of the same problems that he went though as a child. I believe that all children should view this video to see that dreams can come true. No matter what people tell them, they can overcome bullying by always believing in themselves. I learned that people should always believe in themselves because dreams can become true. I also learned that children should always believe that others are wrong and not to accept the faith that others give them. People can be cruel at times and crush others dreams if they allow them to. People who dream should always follow their dreams because they never know where those dreams can take them. The most important thing that I learned is to not allow others to control my destiny because only I can control that.

2 comments:

  1. This is a popular video to watch. You are 3 out of 4 so far! Interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also watched this video. It brought me to tears. When he was talking about what he wanted to be when he grew up, it made me think of my children. I try hard not to squash the dreams of my children. The latest thing my oldest child tells me he wants to be is a taxi driver. I tell him that he can be anything he wants to be. I think as adults we do not need to make children be what we want them to be. We need to encourage them to follow their hearts and be what makes them happy. If they are happy and doing something that they love and enjoy, they will be more successful in life.

    ReplyDelete